Today the Government announced a new Bill that will amend the Employment Relations Act 2000.
The key amendments include:
- Restoring statutory rest and meal breaks
- Limiting 90 day trials to employers with fewer than 20 employees
- Restoring reinstatement as the primary remedy to unfair dismissal
- Increasing protections for vulnerable workers such as cleaners and caterers, when a business is transferred or restructured
- Strengthening collective bargaining and union rights in the workplace.
The Bill will be before Parliament in February 2018 and will then go to select committee, where the public will be able to make submissions on the Bill.
For more information read the Minister’s media statement (external link)