The Employment Standards Legislation Bill has passed third reading in parliament and will come into force 1 April 2016.
The changes will:
- Extend paid parental leave to more workers and increase the flexibility of the scheme
- Strengthen enforcement of employment standards
- Address issues such as “zero-hour contracts” and other unfair employment practices.
The Bill makes changes to the following legislation:
- Employment Relations Act 2000
- The Parental Leave and Employment Protection Act 1987
- Minimum Wage Act 1983
- Holidays Act 2003
- Wages Protection Act 1983
Before the new law comes into force, MBIE will provide information and education to employers, including small businesses, and employees.