COVID-19 and the workplace
Guidance for employees, employers, and businesses around COVID-19 and the workplace, including leave and pay entitlements, and modifying employment agreements.
- COVID-19 financial support
- Employment guide for workers at different COVID-19 traffic light settings
- Vaccines and the workplace
- Leave and pay entitlements during COVID-19
- Modifying employment agreements during COVID-19 response and recovery
- Terminating employment agreements during COVID-19
- Temporary changes to parental leave law due to COVID-19
- COVID-19: Guidance for payroll professionals
- Addressing health and safety concerns
- Wage subsidy and Leave Support: Complaints about employers
- Employment New Zealand's approach to COVID-19
- COVID-19 Workers and Workplaces Assistance Fund
Is not referred to in employment legislation but is a term sometimes used to describe a period when an employee retains their employment, receives full pay but does not report to work.
Defence force volunteers
An employer has to let employees take leave and must keep their job open while doing training or service for the Armed Forces.
Leave without pay
An employee can take leave without pay if their employer agrees. The agreement should be recorded in writing.
Employment during and after disasters
During and after a disaster or emergency, employers and employees need to consider issues such as health and safety, emotional wellbeing and payment options.
Long service leave
You can negotiate long service leave and long service leave benefits with your employer.
Tools and Resources
Employee Learning Module
Sick leave, bereavement leave, alternative holidays, and public holidays – employee rights and responsibilities.
Leave and holidays guide - PDF 2.5MB
A guide to employees’ minimum leave and holiday entitlements.
Subscribe to our email newsletter
Receive news and updates each month from Employment New Zealand.