Summary of minimum leave and holiday entitlements for employees.
Employees get a paid day off on a public holiday if it’s a day they would have normally worked on. If they work on that public holiday they’re paid time and a half and get an alternative day off.
Bereavement leave is a special kind of paid leave that all employees who meet certain criteria can use if someone close to them dies.
Information about parental leave and associated entitlements such as government-funded parental leave payments.
Other leave types such as garden leave, long service leave, voting leave, jury service, defence forces leave, and leave options for workplace stress or following a natural disaster.
Annual holidays and worked public holidays are paid differently from alternative and unworked public holidays, sick and bereavement leave.
- Calculating annual holiday payment rates
- Paying via payroll system
- Calculating payments for working on a public holiday
- Calculating sick and bereavement leave payments
- Payment for leave and holidays in final pay
- Relevant and average daily pay
- Time and a half and penal rates
- Otherwise working day
- Changes to tax legislation applying to employee share schemes (ESS)
Jury service is administered by the Ministry of Justice. If an employee has been summoned for jury service they can get more information about this from the Ministry of Justice.