When you start work you’ll need to get an IRD number, if you don’t already have one.

Paying taxes

If you're earning any sort of income, you have to pay tax.

You’ll need

  • an IRD number
  • the correct tax code.

Your employer will deduct tax using the code you gave them when you started work. Make sure they’re using the right code or you could pay the wrong amount of tax.

If you’re a self-employed contractor you need to pay your own tax.

Find out more on the IRD website:

How helpful was this information?

Page last revised: 13 June 2018

Still haven't found what you're looking for?