Foreign fishing crews working in New Zealand

As part of a foreign fishing crew working in New Zealand, your work visa allows you to work in New Zealand waters until its expiry date.

New Zealand has rules regarding your rights and responsibilities as an employee and foreign worker. It is very important you are aware of these. Visit Immigration New Zealand for the rights and responsibilities for you and your employer, and to obtain a factsheet (available in multiple languages).

Fishing crew rights and obligations – Immigration New Zealand (external link)

If you want to know more about these issues, have any other questions or want to make a complaint you can:

  • Contact us for general queries on employment relations, pay and holidays or if you think you are not being paid correctly.
  • Talk to the New Zealand company that charters the ship you work on.
  • Contact the New Zealand Fishing Industry Guild (NZFIG) or other employee representative organisation. NZFIG is the union that acts for fishing crews. Call NZFIG on (09) 358 3013, email: or write to PO Box 90 212, Auckland. You can also contact the International Transport Workers Federation on (04) 801 7613 or (021) 292 1782.

If you have any questions about your immigration status, contact the New Zealand company whose ship you are working on, or contact Immigration New Zealand (external link) .

How helpful was this information?

Still haven't found what you're looking for?