Payment under a contract of service can include wages, salary, commission and piece rates.
- people who have been offered and have accepted a job, but are yet to start working
- permanent employees (full-time and part-time)
- fixed-term employees (full-time and part-time)
- casual employees
- seasonal employees
- employees on probationary and trial periods.
An employee is not:
- a self-employed or independent contractor
- a volunteer who does not receive a reward for working
- a sharemilker
- a real estate agent whose agreement says they are an independent contractor
- in some cases, a person who works in film production.
This statement sets out the Labour Inspectorate’s position on work in a business operation without payment of wages.
- Labour Inspectorate Position Statement – Work In A Business Operation Without Payment of Wages [PDF, 199 KB]
- FAQs – Working for accommodation [PDF, 308 KB]