Contact us

Get in touch with us if you have a general query or would like more information.

Common employment issues

General queries

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 8.00am to 5.30pm excluding public holidays.

Note: We can't interpret employment agreements, provide legal advice or bring personal grievances on your behalf. For legal advice, please consult a lawyer or visit your local community law centres.

Email us a query

In New Zealand you can call us on 0800 20 90 20.

If you are outside New Zealand you can call us on +64 9 969 2950.

Languages other than English

You can use a free telephone interpreting service called Connecting Now. Interpreters are available for over 180 different languages.

Call us after 9.00am, ask for Connecting Now and tell us which language you speak. Hold the line and we'll get an interpreter within a couple of minutes.

Deaf or hearing impaired

If you are deaf or hearing impaired, after 9.00am we can use the Video Relay Service to provide information.

New Zealand Relay (external link)

Early Resolution

Early Resolution is a free phone-based service that helps resolve a workplace issue early, quickly and informally.

Early Resolution Service

Media queries

For queries from the media, please email the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) media line.

Official Information Act requests

Before requesting official information please check our website. What you are looking for may already be available online.

Requesting information from the government — (external link)

Official Information Act requests — MBIE (external link)

Strikes and lockout notices

You must send strike or lockout records and notifications to MBIE.

Work Stoppages
Employment Services
Business Advisory Services
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
PO Box 1473
15 Stout Street
Wellington 6011

Collective employment agreements

After collective bargaining negotiations are complete you must send us a signed PDF copy of the ratified agreement and any other document referred to or incorporated into the collective agreement (unless publicly available). You can send these using the Workplace Online Portal, or by email or post:

Workplace Online Portal (external link)

Employment Services
Regulatory and Advisory Services Team
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
PO Box 1473
Wellington 6011

Pay equity

You can use the Workplace Online Portal (external link) to:

  • submit a pay equity settlement
  • submit pay equity comparator information
  • request pay equity comparator information

Or by emailing them to

Employment Services
Regulatory and Advisory Services Team
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
PO Box 1473
Wellington 6011

Mediation and Records of Settlement

If you would like to comment on your mediation, please email us.

If you would like help to complete an application for mediation, contact us on 0800 20 90 20 or email us at the address above.

If you cannot submit online, you can post paper applications or records of settlement to either our Auckland or Wellington PO Box. Alternatively, you can hand deliver to the physical addresses below. Offices are open 8.30am–4.30pm Monday to Friday.

Request mediation or submit a Record of Settlement (external link)

Mediation Services Auckland

PO Box 92061, Victoria Street West, Auckland 1142

Kordia House, 162 Victoria Street West, Auckland, 1010.

Mediation Services Wellington

PO Box 10 413, Wellington 6143

Level 1, 205 Victoria Street ,Te Aro, Wellington 6011.

Workplace health and safety queries

For any queries about workplace health and safety please contact WorkSafe New Zealand.

Contact us — WorkSafe New Zealand (external link)

Migrant exploitation

Migrant workers have the same minimum employment rights as New Zealand workers. You can report it to us if you or someone you know is being exploited in the workplace.

Migrant exploitation

Immigration queries

For any queries about immigration or work visas please contact Immigration New Zealand.

Contact us — Immigration New Zealand (external link)

Tax and KiwiSaver queries

For any queries about taxes or KiwiSaver please contact Inland Revenue.

Contact us — Inland Revenue (external link)

Mail and courier deliveries

Our addresses for mail and courier deliveries.

Mail deliveries

Employment New Zealand
PO Box 1473
Wellington 6140

Courier deliveries

Employment New Zealand
15 Stout Street
Wellington 6011

How helpful was this information?

Page last revised: 14 August 2023

Still haven't found what you're looking for?